My first post (bear with me I have a few months to cover)...

2020 got off to a great start with so many things to be GRATEFUL for...

My family...Michael, Zach, Sam and Ben who fill my life with love, excitement, never a dull day, and the pure joy and fulfillment that only a mom can know!


My family and friends...Mom, Dad, Brenda, Katie and Ed...and everyone in the O'Sullivan Family, The Mason's, the Losure's...and all of you who I consider our chosen family who have enriched my life just by being you.

My life with Michael...what more can I say other than we have been blessed!

My experiences supporting those with intellectual disabilities who have brought me such joy...you all know who you are!


Nora J Mason LLC which I finally had the confidence to launch in December 2019 and to WORX Branding for helping me to create my new brand.

I am a passionate social entrepreneur who has dedicated my life to working with not-for-profit organizations, primarily Special Olympics. Starting my career as a Special Education teacher, I knew my journey would be dedicated to improving the lives of those of all abilities. If we all knew the power of meaningful inclusion, we would always choose to include. Thank you Loretta and so many of my friends for teaching me real life lessons.

More on this later as we navigate the 2020 journey...

It was January 16, when I first heard the prognosis of breast cancer. On February 19, just one month later, I was into the Smilow Leever Cancer Center (Waterbury, CT) for the first of my chemo cocktails (accompanied by my best friend Michael). What a way to kick off our 25th anniversary year!

I was diagnosed with HER 2+ breast cancer, stage 2A, and we were starting chemo right away. Six cocktails every 3 weeks will be followed by surgery. With all the scans, tests, and biopsies that filled the first half of February, they also discovered thyroid cancer (non-related to the breast). The journey will just be a little longer now and require a second surgery to deal with the thyroid.


I have given many haircuts to my boys and it was their turn to return the favor. I let them take to the razor and we enjoyed a few laughs! 

Thus I have a new look these days which is now shedding...yes I am shedding (wish it was pounds and not hair...).


Skip ahead to round 3 of chemo cocktails this past Wednesday, April 1. I had to go solo, as no one was allowed to go into the cancer center with me. "It is what it is..." as Carol would say, and "You do what you gotta do". I have an amazing team of doctors, nurses, family, extended family, friends and co-workers that have become friends, surrounding me.  I could not navigate this journey without you all.  

The toughest part as been managing the side effects of the cocktails. But with you all providing helpful tips, lessons you have all learned from your own experiences, inspiration messages, texts, calls and greetings...ALL IS GOOD...and WE GOT THIS! 


Actually I think the toughest part has been the isolation of not being able to see each other, hug each other, and console each other...through these uncertain times. I'm a hugger as you should know by now..but knowing we will get through ALL OF THIS and once again be back to some normalcy is encouraging us to persevere. Until then, let's experience love, life and joy in other ways perhaps that remind us of the real beauty of this life we have been given the privilege to live.



TODAY I am GRATEFUL for...

  • All 5 of us being under one roof.
  • Dinner on the table made by one of my amazing younger chefs in the house. Even better when they all pitch in on a meal.
  • The raised garden and pizza oven the boys are building for our yard. Of course we bought the supplies $$$!
  • Daily meditation...moments of silence...rest...and a walk around the neighborhood with the sunshine on my face. 
  • A good movie that I can stay awake for the ending!
  • My team of family, doctors, nurses, and friends that surround me and supports us all on this journey.
  • Foods that taste good.
  • I am GRATEFUL for each one of you!
  • Today, I am grateful for today. One day at a time...
Life today is different than it was only a few months ago. The journey we are each on is different. May you all be safe, healthy and diligent in your efforts to stay at home if you are so fortunate and safe if you must be out among those protecting us all and caring for those in need. 

Stay tuned...more to come...as the 2020 journey continues.










Comments

  1. You're in our hearts and prayers Nora. Love you. Pat Kelly Ranieri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora, I admire you and the way you are, not only with our athletes, but the people around you. You’re honest and giving. Always in my thoughts and prayers! ❤️
    Love, Joanne M

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone can do this, you can. Best prayers and thoughts are sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora...I am thinking of you, praying for you and sending love to you and Michael and the boys ❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog